At the Seaport, we make it our mission to preserve the stories and honor the traditions of the people and folk artists of the Barnegat Bay. One of the ways we do this is by offering a space for those traditions to continue. This past summer we were proud to officially open our blacksmith shop beside Jay Parker’s Decoy Carving Shop right here on site!
Since then our resident blacksmith Stephen Nuttall has forged iron into tools and pieces of art right on site! Stephen and other guest blacksmiths can be found in the shop hard at work hammering away at hot metal for the benefit of awe-struck school groups or during Seaport festivals.
For over 100 years, Tuckerton had a blacksmith shop. There was even one right across the street from where the Seaport is today, along the lake! In 1900, blacksmiths George Bishop and Bob Webster invented the Tuckerton Mudshoe to help horses walk through mud and marsh and its popularity soared for decades. Blacksmiths used to be a common staple in any community like Tuckerton forging tools for farmers, livery keepers, and more. Today, there aren’t many that still dedicate themselves to the craft.
This shop has been the perfect way for the Seaport to help keep the tradition alive, tell the stories of the people who lived along the Barnegat Bay, and give our modern day blacksmiths a place to create their art.
Join us for Chriskindlmarkt to watch Toby Krull and Stephen Nuttall at work on November 30th, from 4pm – 8pm, December 1st, from 10am – 5pm, and December 2nd, from 10am – 4pm!